Sunday, April 15, 2007

Interpersonal Communication

I called and talked with Justin from our class. The conversation was fun. We talked about a variety of topics such as how we were enjoying the class, how lost we were with this blog stuff. We both better understand the blogging since we read the note from the professor about posting daily. We both were a little nervous to talk with someone we had never met before so we started by telling each other a little about ourselves. We talked about our major and the goals we are working towards achieving. I feel that we both used the same language and terminology. This could be because we both live in California. Justin is in southern California while I am located in northern California. I didn’t notice any communication barriers during out call. My overall assessment of the conversation is that Justin is very easy to talk with. He seems easy going and we both were able to ask each other questions and gain clarity on the different assignments we are working on. I found that Justin is in my group so we were able to talk a little about our upcoming group project. We also had some common ideas regarding a need to have a fulfilling job. Justin’s goal is to become a probation officer and work with at risk youth. My goal is similar in that I want to work with children either teaching them or counseling children that have been through traumatic experiences. Overall, I am not sure what type of communication style Justin uses most often, I will be interested to see what his assessments show. I am going to guess that he may be more dominant in using the visual communication style. It is kind of difficult for me to determine a person’s communication style based on one conversation.

No comments: