Friday, April 27, 2007

Do you understand me?

We don't always understand people because people have different way of communicating. We also leave a lot of room for interpretation when we don't say exactly what we mean. Often when talking with close friends I don't say everything and most things are picked up because of facial expressions. Normally this is effective but sometimes it does not always work. Recently I played a game at work with a few team members. One person had a picture of shapes and was told to describe the picture to the person sitting at the table. The person describing the picture had to face away from the person drawing. I found in this exercise that each person thinks differently and that if we have a message to pass along we have to be very precise by giving specific instructions such as draw a circle in the middle of your paper. The circle should be 2 inches in diameter and 2 inches in length.

5 comments:

100thfallen said...

Do you believe that some of the problem may be attributed to poor listening?

Jo said...

What an interesting experiment. I may have to borrow this for one of my team bonding sessions.

Question: do you think it was the message being sent or the way a receiver was interpreting? Was the message sent the exact same way each time or did different people send and other's receive?

Great post!

Debra Davenport said...

Hi Angela,

Excellent blog so far!

I use this exercise (a similar one) in many of my classes and it's always interesting to observe the way people have a very difficult time communicating. Most of the receivers' shapes are very, very different! Signals both a describing and listening issue!

Glad you had the opportunity to experience this!

Dr. D.

Shalexis said...

Wow, that was a neat exercise. I think I may have to use this with my students.

Your Blog is Great!!!!

Angela Albertson said...

I think some of the problem could be to poor listening but I think the problem comes because each person has a different way of viewing a situation. A group of people may hear the same thing but walk away with different ideas and concepts. I attribute this to the different knowledge base each person has and begins with.